Monday, February 25, 2008

Solitude is overrated

It's quiet.
Very quiet.
Some would say serene.
I don't like it when it's this quiet.
It makes me feel uneasy.
But I don't like artificial noise.

I like laughter.
I like music.
I like to hear the squirrels running across my roof.

But manufactured noise....
I'm not going to turn on the radio just for white noise.
I'm tired of the television.
It's really getting on my nerves.
And sitting here,
staring at this box all day is mind numbing.

I've been forcing myself to take these longs walks,
But I don't have anywhere to go.
I just meander aimlessly,
And eventually, I wind up back home.

My head hurts from thinking.
I have not stopped thinking for a week now.
And every thought I've had,
I've written down.
Most are bad.
Some are good.
Others are nonsense.
I rather like the nonsensical thoughts.
There is something...
Ethereal in confounding yourself with your own thoughts.

I think I've slipped into some epistemological nightmare.
I find myself questioning the reasoning for thought.
Can one ever stop thinking?


I wish to God I could.

2 comments:

Blaire said...

I wrote a post the other day about not being able to control my thoughts, not being able to stop thinking, and I think about not thinking all the time. Man, that's fun.

Adam said...

fun? you and i have very different definitions of the word "fun". i think of fun as something i enjoy and look forward to. my head is about to explode! how is that fun?!?